Monday, August 23, 2010

Wizards and Mickey

So if you haven’t noticed my little countdown in the sidebar, I’m going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and Disney World on Tuesday. I’m leaving my house exactly 24 hours after this post goes online.

I thought I wasn’t excited. I thought I wasn’t anxious.

I was in a state of amazing calm.

My only problem? I haven’t been able to focus the last (if I’m honest) two weeks. My mind couldn’t hold a thought, the world was a slippery slope and things just whizzed by – like Alice falling down the rabbit hole.

I had plans to finish my MS. I was going to work my but off and package pretty stacks of paper to send off to my beta readers. Instead, Mom is reading the first third in a purple duotang while I’m gone. I’m disappointed I didn’t finish – awfully so. But, I am really happy with the direction the rewrite is taking and we’ll see how Mom feels when she’s finished. (Also, when I say Mom is reading, do not assume she will think it’s awesome just cause I’m her daughter. She doesn’t care. To her, it’s a book, like any other and she’ll give it the same treatment. Mom never lies. Serious. Plus, she knows lying about my book would only harm me (not that she lies anyways!).)

And then, last night, at my family birthday dinner when I was opening presents geared towards my trip my emotions spiked. It became real, in a way it hasn’t been. Mom made a valid observation (as moms so often do): three months ago I was seriously excited, my body readjusted, accommodating that level of excitement so I got used to it, expected it – when my excitement spiked, I could suddenly feel it again.

Ramona drew me a card of Draco Malfoy in watercolor! Thought I'd share the awesome.

Now I’m dying. And my goodness, let me tell you, it is an absolutely wondrous way to go.

Needless to say I will be missing in blogger action the next two weeks (also, sorry for not really visiting this week. As stated earlier I’ve been a little...lost lately). I’ll be back by the 5th of September with pictures and stories and awesome galore!

Before I sign off, I need to say something:

I’m overwhelmed by the generosity and thoughtfulness and love and support of my family. (And no, this doesn’t really have anything to do with my trip – well except the generosity part but that transcends the trip.) My uncle, cousin, mom and grandparents all read this blog so I want to say I Love You. Period.

Excuse me fellow bloggers as I get sappy and give an extra special shout out to Grandparents:

You are making the little girl in me – that girl who waited on her eleventh birthday for her Hogwarts Owl and cried when it didn’t come (for weeks) – unbearably happy. You are making one of my childhood dreams come true. No one else has Grandparents this awesome.

Pay Attention Again.

Because my family continually teaches me about generosity and thoughtfulness, when I return, I’m going to hold my first ever contest and share a little bit of the magic I am ridiculously lucky to be experiencing.

See you in the fall!

Word Of The Day: Galvanize - inspire; stimulate

14 comments:

  1. Yay! Yay! Yay!!!!!!! I'm feeding into your awesome excitement!!! I would be elated! I'm dreaming of getting on the plane with you and meeting you there!

    Ramona is such a sweetheart! I love the birthday card, oh so talented!!!

    Have a blast and I expect so many pictures I don't know what I would do with the overload... but devour them!!!

    PS - Got your email, I'll be emailing back shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a MAGICAL time!!! My best friend was there a few weeks ago and said it was pretty awesome. Have fun and I can't wait to read all about it on your blog when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh HOORAY for you!!!
    (your family sounds amazing!!)
    and the WIP will be waiting for you when you return with brand-new sparkly magic-inspired ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a fun trip!! Your family IS awesome! :)

    I love the card too -- it's just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe it's already here and I'm so, so excited for you. I also can't believe your going to be like 4 hours away! You know Cal will be dying to hear the stories and see the photos.
    Such a cool painting! And what a wonderful family I loved the sap ;) I think it's wonderful you share with us how big of an inspiration they are to you and also acknowledge them for being such.
    Will miss your for 2 weeks but I know your going to have a blast!
    And PS I know the feeling I can't concentrate on anything other than hubs coming home so the WIP is just hanging out there to be worked as I try to focus now and then.
    Have SO much fun and enjoy all the magic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is going to be so much fun!!!! I heard it's amazing. I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you're not the only person I've heard headed to HP! Have a BLAST--and remember it's going to be HOT, so be prepared!

    Also, what a great drawing of Draco~ :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m jealous… can’t wait to hear how it is.
    Hope you MS turns out alright.
    See ya in two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SO EXCITED for you!!!! How FUN! I can hardly wait to read all about it when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! Oh! MY! Gosh!!!!!!! I've seen your little countdown, but why did I not realize it was so close? I'm so excited for you. Have the best time ever. Well, of course you will. I can't wait to hear all about it. I'm gushing, but I'm seriously excited!!! I thought it was, like, a year AWAY or something. LOL Okay, anyway. I'll stop being silly. I am an adult, but I really want to GO!!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and I meant to say that the painting of Malfoy is AWESOME! What a great present. And I hope everything goes as you'd like it to on your manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melissa, I am so, SO excited for you!!!! I hope you have oodles and oodles of fun. I can't wait to hear all about it, I'm already planning my trip for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I am so excited for you! I'm with Jen, I'm ready to jump on a plane and meet you there! Don't worry about the ms...it will be there when you get back and just think of all the inspiration you will have on your time away!

    Have fun and I want to see some pictures when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. AAWWW what lovely words to your family. Cannot WAIT to hear about Hogwarts!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for commenting, I read and appreciate every single word.